Posted by: orcaweb | July 19, 2017

Staring down the blow hole

Hello readers, its Kelly here and I’m back with another update about life at sea aboard the Cap Finistére as a Wildlife Officer Placement.

This week had a lot to live up to after the array of species and sightings the week before. It started out with a beautifully calm channel crossing on Wednesday (12th July). The sun was out in force and the gannets were circling over the ripple of common dolphin fins hunting below the surface. Feeding had definitely taken priority over putting on a show in the pressure waves, as group after group of dolphins seemed to keep quite a low profile as the ship sailed past.


Two juvenile gannets flying over a mirror calm sea.

The crossing had been quiet and with the other ships dotted around the channel we thought our chances of spotting anything would be slim. Just as the glare was disappearing and the sun was lowering in the late hours of the afternoon a fin broke the surface and the silence. It belonged to the first minke whale I’d ever seen! It vanished as soon as it was noticed, giving me a new understanding of the nickname “slinky minke”. It was definitely a good omen for the start of what would hopefully be a week full of sightings.

Thursday morning greeted us with fin whale blows from our bedroom window, beckoning us out and onto deck 10. The deck watch started out early but the promise of fin whales seemed to have passed us by being replaced with grey clouds and dark skies. Fishing vessels materialised along the horizon one after the other until there were around 40 boats surrounding us. Half way through the quiet deck watch a pair of skittish common dolphin surfed alongside the ship. The dolphins seemed to have brought the sun and soon the clouds were replaced with sunshine and the tail end of a rainbow. In the last few moments of the watch the whale blows were back and soon after the blows were seen a fin whale rostrum was seen breaking the surface along the horizon. A pod of nearly 60 common dolphins swam by just in time for the end of the deck watch.

Up to watch the sunrise and keen to spot some of the recently seen orca (on ORCA’s most recent Sea Safari) we were up and on deck for 05:00 on Saturday. The day was off to a great start, with sightings of around 25 common dolphins and several whale blows along the horizon. Four brown fins bobbing along the surface interrupted the fairly tranquil morning and upon closer inspection they turned out to be Cuvier’s beaked whales! These weird and wonderful cetaceans are quickly becoming a firm favourite as it feels like an absolute treat every time I spot one. This particular pod of whales was spotted much more north in comparison to their usual range in the trenches, canyons and deep sea along the Spanish coast.

The deck watch had even more tricks up its sleeve; in the last third a whale blow was spotted near to the ships bow. This blow was tall but thinner than the fin whale blows I’d seen previously and much to my surprise the whale surfaced close enough to get a good look at its curved but very upright dorsal fin. It was a Sei whale! Just when I thought my day couldn’t get any better we sailed past a very large surface disturbance, the whale couldn’t have been that far away as it looked quite recent. Out of the blue (quite literally) the head of a fin whale appeared and vanished, but not before I managed to see the whale open its nostrils to exhale and get a good look down both blowholes!


The beautiful sunset on Saturday morning.

Sunday along the Brittany coast was the calmest sea state I have ever witnessed during my time on board. The sea rivaled glass and was accompanied with a thick curtain of fog. It was grey, visibility was poor and the GPS for the logger decided to take the day off forcing me to go old school and record any sightings on paper. Pods of common dolphins made up for bad weather and cruised alongside, busy hunting and feeding on nearby shoals of fish. It was a dolphin sort of morning as the resident pod of bottlenose dolphin came out to play! The fog ended up being a blessing in disguise as the ship was forced to slow down to an average of 10 knots, allowing the dolphins to get close enough to leap and play in the bow waves.
Both bottlenose and common dolphins were out again on Monday along with the largest bony fish of them all – the ocean sunfish!

These weeks have been a marine biologists dream and have allowed me to get a sneak peak into the activities of marine mammals and other cool creatures in and around the Bay of Biscay. I’ve been lucky enough to see so much in such a short period of time during this wonderful and inspiring placement. I hope to spot even more cetaceans during my last week but who knows what I’ll see next!

Until next time,
– Kelly (Wildlife Officer Placement)



  1. Hi Kelly,

    I’m making the crossing to St. Malo on Monday evening…as a birder I’m keen to know what opportunity I will have for a spot of seaward hinges on the journey…both birds and cetaceans.

    Probably my family not so keen for it but there’s a decent chance of some large shearwaters, and who knows if that RF Booby might be still in the Channel area.

  2. Wow. What an experience for all those who joined you on deck to soak up memories of a lifetime. Keep up the great work!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: