Posted by: orcaweb | July 12, 2017

Introduction to life at sea

Hello readers, I’m Kelly the first Wildlife Officer Placement (of the year) on-board the Cap Finistère vessel, which is run by Brittany Ferries.

Kelly and Hazel Wildlife Officers

Kelly (left) & Hazel (right) – ORCA Wildlife Officers 2017

My first day (Wednesday, June 26th) was a whirlwind of activity on the ship, all the new sights, smells, names, faces and corridors to get lost down. No time was wasted as Jess and I got straight into meeting and greeting passengers and informing them all about the wonderful opportunity to spot cetaceans with us. Unfortunately the weather had other ideas and our deck watch plans were very much rained on. The weather went from bad to worse, with a majorly rough sea state rocking the ship and inflicting bouts of seasickness in the passengers as well as the seasoned crew, but not us hardy Wildlife Officers!

Over the next few days, the storms had cleared, the sun was shining and the common dolphins were out in significant numbers. My first sighting seemed almost magical after a rocky start to the placement – the dolphins bow riding and playing in the wake of the ship more than made up for it.


Common dolphin leaping

Thanks to Jess’s time and patience, I got to grips quickly with our schedule, the logger, administrative tasks and being able to identify cetacean species from a fast moving vessel.

Other things I managed to do in my first week included:

  • Acquiring my sea legs.
  • Navigating my way around the ship.
  • Correctly identifying common dolphins.
  • Entertaining and inspiring children.
  • Getting a sunglasses tan.
  • Debating the largest sea creature: megalodon vs. blue whale.

Week 2:

Time flies when you’re having fun, and before I realised it was Wednesday again. The week brought new cetacean sightings and a new wildlife officer into my life. Patience and perseverance really does pay off and on mine and Hazel’s Thursday morning deck watch, after hours of staring at the sea we (and a very keen passenger) were rewarded with a super pod of common dolphins. Wave after wave of dolphins came bounding towards the ship and I honestly couldn’t believe my eyes when we saw what must have been nearing 200 individuals, mothers and their calves and even the odd striped dolphin tagging along.

6th July

Screenshot from the logger for the afternoon deck watch on Thursday 6th July

The day just proceeded to get even better as the second deck watch of the day conjured up a kaleidoscope of cetaceans – even more common dolphins followed by pilot whales and a Cuvier’s beaked whale extremely close to the ship that quickly dived into the depths. I thought my day had been made, and that it wasn’t possible to get any better than that until out of the corner of my eye after a long but exciting day I spotted a lone, tall, jet black, straight dorsal fin just cruise through the water – we can’t say that it was definitely an orca but it sure seemed pretty convincing.


Cuvier’s beaked whale breaking the surface very close to the ship.

Friday morning’s deck watch was my first introduction to identifying mysticete whales from their blows. I was treated to two quite tall and straight blows from fin whales close to the horizon and the tiny sliver of one of the whale’s backs just breaking the waters surface.

Little did I know that the fun was only yet to start, as Saturday turned out to be everything I expected and more! Pod after pod of common dolphins graced us with their presence and far away fin whales teased us with their fleeting blows. A pod of five mystery uniformly coloured individuals had us wracking our brains in order to identify them, until a passenger was able to put our minds to rest by showing us a slow motion video he had taken – they ended up being five quite large bottlenose dolphins.

The evening deck watch had even more tricks up its sleeve, the weather had calmed, the sun had come out and the conditions were just right for cetacean spotting. It turns out that we couldn’t have missed our next sighting if we tried, as massive fin whale rolled the last third of its body back into the watery depths right beside the ship! The whale’s presence seemed to have halted time and attracted quite the crowd as the amazing animal slowly appeared and slipped away into the shadows.

Saturday couldn’t have been topped and Sunday morning was slow and quiet. The usually serene and relatively uneventful coastal waters along the Brittany coast surprised us with a few cheeky common dolphins hunting around a fishing vessel and a shy harbour porpoise making an appearance for the first time during my time on board.

My time on the Cap Finistère has been extremely exciting so far; adjusting to the way of life at sea and also being able to see these beautiful cetaceans up close and personal has been nothing short of inspiring.
I hope to keep sharing my discoveries through blog posts and pictures, as I know this only the beginning of a wonderful new adventure!

– Kelly (ORCA Wildlife Officer Placement)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: